The charcoal pencil is a traditional medium for sketching. They are still a favorite medium for most of the artists. Charcoal pencils are preferred over graphite pencils due to their versatile properties. They are made of compressed charcoal particles that are held together by a gum. These pencils let you create bold and sweeping lines for precise and detailed drawings. They are much easier to control.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF CHARCOAL USED IN PENCILS
1. VINE CHARCOAL: This type of charcoal is produced by burning grapevines in the absence of air. They produce a dark gray color tone. Vine charcoal is easy to erase and is perfect for live sketches.
2. WILLOW CHARCOAL: This kind of charcoal is produced by burning willow sticks in the absence of air. The particles of willow charcoal are finer than vine charcoal. They produce a deep velvety black color tone.
3. COMPRESSED CHARCOAL: This type of charcoal is shaped into a stick by mixing the charcoal powder with gum or wax binders. They won’t break easily and are harder to erase.
TOP TEN CHARCOAL PENCIL SETS
1. Professional Charcoal Pencils Drawing Set
This set contains 12 pieces of charcoal pencils in three different grades. It is suitable for beginners as well as professional artists. The set includes 6 pieces of soft charcoal pencils, 4 pieces of medium charcoal pencils and 2 pieces of hard charcoal pencils. The set contains charcoal pencils made upon mixing charcoal particles with the finest clays. They produce dark color with a velvety texture.
These pencils contain flexible charcoal of the highest quality. These are super pigmented and smoothly layered pencils that are perfect for school kids to begin with. The charcoal pencils in the set help you to produce scratch-free sketches. The set contains safe and non-toxic charcoal pencils. Hence, this might be a perfect gift for Kids who loves sketching.
- The set has charcoal pencils of three different grades.
- Velvety texture.
- Perfect set for detailing.
- Dark-colored stain.
- Made with flexible charcoal of the highest quality.
- Helps in producing scratch-free sketches.
- Super pigmented.
- Easy to use.
2. Charcoal Drawing Art set
This is an advanced charcoal set consisting of 3 charcoal pencils, 1 woodless charcoal pencil, 4 natural charcoal sticks and 4 charcoal sticks. These pencils are ideal for artists for loose sketches. The set comes in a metal tin ideal for storage purposes. The set contains real charcoal. You can make wonderful monochromatic sketches with this set. You can buy it for your kids for trying their hands on some original charcoal drawings. It has a thick, deep and rich color tone that is perfect for detailing.
- The set contains different varieties of charcoal art supplies including charcoal pencils, woodless charcoal pencils, natural charcoal sticks, and charcoal sticks.
- The set includes 3 different grades of charcoal pencils; soft, medium and hard.
- Made of real charcoal.
- Thick, deep and rich color tone.
- The set comes in a tin box.
3. Black Free Cutting Paper Handle Charcoal Pencils
This set has three different grades of paper-wrapped charcoal pencils. The three different grades included in the set are super-soft, soft and medium. The set contains charcoal pencils of the finest quality. These pencils offer smooth and thick black stains. They are ideal for beginners as well as professionals. You can gift this set to your artist friends. These are the perfect ones for your art class at school. They will blend very well on the paper.
- The package includes three different grades of paper-wrapped charcoal pencils; super-soft, soft and medium.
- Made of finest quality charcoal.
- Ideal for beginners as well as professionals.
- Blends well.
- Smooth and thick black stains.
4. 9 Piece Charcoal Drawing Set
This is a 9-piece charcoal set containing all essential supplies needed for charcoal drawings. The kit includes 3 charcoal pencils, 2 charcoal sticks, a graphite pencil, a kneaded eraser, a video, and a metal tin. These are quality charcoal pencils ideal for your sketching journals. The charcoal pencils come in a triangular shape to increase your comfort and to draw flawlessly. You are going to love the cool sleek design of the metal tin included in this charcoal set for storing purposes. The kit also contains a DVD of sketching tips.
- It contains all the essential supplies needed for charcoal drawings.
- Triangle-shaped charcoal pencils.
- The set comes along with a sleek metal tin for storing pencils.
- The set contains a DVD of 30 minutes video featuring tips and techniques for drawing and sketching.
5. Set of Two Charcoal Pencils
This set contains two black 4B charcoal pencils. These charcoal pencils provide deep color tones needed for your drawings. The charcoal pencils offer a smooth delivery of ink that makes your drawing easy, comfortable and effortless. These pencils let you draw dramatically with its intense black stain. You can blend the stain beautifully on papers according to your creativity.
- The package contains two black 4B pencils.
- Deep color tone.
- Smooth delivery of ink.
- Dramatic and intense black.
- Blends well.
6. 12 Pieces Charcoal Drawing Pencils Set
This set contains three different grades of charcoal pencils. The set includes 6 pieces of soft charcoal pencils, 4 pieces of medium charcoal pencils and 4 pieces of hard charcoal pencils. This is a perfect set to be included in your art supplies. The pencils in the set are good enough for your sketching journal. You can create some excellent pieces of art using these pencils. They are non-toxic and eco-friendly. These pencils contain the highest quality flexible charcoal. They won’t create any scratches on your piece of art. The pencils offer easier sharping with the least chances for breakage.
- Made of highest quality flexible charcoal.
- The set contains three different grades of charcoal pencils.
- Easier sharping.
- Least chances for breakage.
- Ideal for journaling.
7. Tinted Charcoal Pencils in Metal Tin
This set contains charcoal pencils of 12 different colors. The set comes in a metal tin that lets you store the pencils neatly arranged. These pencils come pre-sharpened in the set. As the set includes different colors, you can buy it for Kids to create a wonderful scrapbook or art journal. These wooden encased pencils contain a mixture of charcoal particles and clay. The pencils are created to give a traditional charcoal effect with a tint of colors, more control, and less mess. They are made using the highest quality flexible charcoal to create scratch-free drawings. You can give a break to your monochromatic drawings with these earthy colors.
- Made of highest quality flexible charcoal.
- Set of 12 different rich and earthy color tones.
- A mixture of charcoal and clay enclosed in a wooden case.
- Scratch-free drawings.
- These pencils have more control and so creates less mess.
- Packed in a metal tin.
8. Wood cased Charcoal Pencils
This set is a perfect addition to your art supplies. It contains 1 soft charcoal pencil, 1 medium charcoal pencil, 1 dark charcoal pencil, and 1 Chinese white pencil. These are wood encased pencils that will not mess your hands with many stains. The wood used to encase the charcoal is of cedar. These pencils give you precise control over your drawings. It also imparts all the traditional effects that you want in a charcoal drawing. You can use white pencils for highlighting the fine details of your picture.
- It contains three different gradients ranging from soft to dark and a white Chinese pencil for highlighting details.
- Charcoal pencils are encased with cedar wood.
- Precise control.
- Traditional charcoal effects.
9. Charcoal Drawing Set
This is a 12 piece charcoal drawing kit made in the United States. The kit contains 5 black charcoal pencils, 1 white charcoal pencil, 2 black charcoal sticks, 1 white charcoal stick, a black wide charcoal stick, a carbon sketch pencil, a kneaded eraser, and a sharpener. These pencils are easy for sharpening and have the least chances for breakage. The pencils in the set are of excellent quality. This is an all-in-one kit for your monochromatic sketching.
- A complete set for trying your hands on charcoal drawing.
- Easy for sharpening.
- Least chances for breakage.
- Made in the United States.
- Excellent quality pencils.
- All-in-one kit; the kit includes black charcoal pencils, white charcoal pencil, black and white charcoal sticks, an eraser and a sharpener.
10. 24 Pieces Charcoal Pencil Set
This set contains 24 wooden encased high-quality charcoal pencils. these are eco-friendly pencils that are harmless and non-toxic. They have strong adhesion properties with clear color. These pencils are made following global standards. The core is made with SV anti-flex pate technology that reduces the chances of breakage.
- Least chances for breakage.
- Clear color.
- Strong adhesion properties.
Charcoal Drawing – Easy Things To Draw
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FAQs
01. What are the advantages of using charcoal pencils for your drawings?
- Intense color tone.
- It doesn’t have a glossy texture, but a matte finish.
- Natural effect.
- Blends beautifully.
- Perfect for dramatic and preliminary sketching.
- Faster medium for students to begin with.
- Easy to control.
- You can make changes easily.
2. What are the disadvantages of charcoal pencils?
- Charcoal tends to dust off quickly.
- Not suitable for drawing small details.
- Tend to be messy.
3. Why is charcoal considered as the perfect medium for beginners?
Charcoal is considered as the perfect medium to start with as they are very easier to control. You can make quick changes in your artwork and explore your imaginations. The charcoal drawings can be easily erased and let you fix the mistakes effortlessly. It is the fastest medium for students to begin their career and is easier to achieve a larger range of value.
4. How to increase the longevity of a charcoal drawing?
The drawings made by charcoal pencils tend to dust off quickly. You can preserve it for a longer time by spraying several coats of fixative over it. It is better to do this process outside the building in a well-ventilated place. For better results, you should spray the fixative in a continuous motion without giving a pause. If you don’t have a fixative, you can use hair sprays instead. It is a cheaper alternative for fixatives.
5. How to select the right paper for charcoal drawings?
You should check these factors while selecting the paper for charcoal drawing:
- Papers made of cotton fibers.
- Rough texture.
- Heavier papers in the range of 60-90 lb.
Charcoal is a good medium to start your drawing career. It is the perfect type of pencils for Kids to begin their sketching journal. Charcoal pencils are much easier to handle. You can easily correct the mistakes that occurred while drawing with a charcoal pencil.
You will get dramatic results when charcoal pencils are used for live sketching. They are more real and natural. The absence of glossy texture is also an added advantage of charcoal pencils.
One of the major disadvantages of charcoal pencils is that they tend to dust off quickly. You can sort out this issue by spraying many covers of a fixative or hair spray over the drawing. The longevity of charcoal drawing can also be increased using the right paper. Heavier papers of the range 60 to 90 lb are most compatible with charcoal pencils. You can choose papers made of cotton fibers.
Charcoal pencils are made by encasing the compressed charcoal matter within a wooden jacket. They are eco-friendly. These pencils have the least chances of breakage and are much easier to sharpen. You can obtain dramatic, deep, rich and intense black-toned pictures by using charcoal pencils in your drawings.